Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 24, Whatever you fancy

I think a lot goes for saying about the company that we keep. It can make a huge impact of the person that you become. There are people who we respect and listen to more than others, and we don't always know why. They aren't always the right person either. There are people who we seek approval from, and they can be the most unsuspecting people. I have been thinking a lot lately about controlling what I think about. I am the type of person who is an extremely deep thinker, and I analyse a lot of things in my life. My past, present and future. Not all of these things do me good to spend time dissecting. So I was thinking that I should be controlling the amount of time I spend thinking about certain things... It's strange, I haven't ever really thought about it that way. I just thought, my mind will wander where it wants to wander and I will just go with it. It can be quite damaging. If you spend too much time on something, lies can feel like truth and things that just aren't so, turn into reality. Kind of like talking ourselves into believing a situation to be something that it isn't.
I hope this is making sense. It does in my head :-)
I just finished reading a philosophical book and it had a lot of amazing points and I swear every chapter there was something that made me think, Oh I should really blog about that! But do you think I can recall them now? No. Lol.
But they made some interesting points about music. I people have a lot of opinions about music and the effect it has on some people's moods. I remember when the Columbine Shooting happened, people were trying to blame Marilyn Manson because he was one of the artists that the boys listened too frequently. I think that is ludicrous. I absolutely think that music does effect our moods and it can definitely be in a negative sense and it CAN take control if we let it. I also think some people are more susceptible to this than others... I am one of these people. I am a complete lover of music and it is a great tool for me when I am writing. I feel a lot more inspired when I listen to music.
But overall music was quite influential back in the 60's and 70's, and longer. But it seemed to take away from the political power. People were being influenced more by the music. Free love, Drugs rock n roll etc. It's hard to think that the dribble that has leaked on to mainstream radio could have quite the same effect on today's society. But I think it does. Just in a different way.
Anyway, I thought that was something interesting to think about. I remember when I was going through a tough spot in my life and feeling quite depressed, I was careful to fill my iPod with only uplifting songs, ones that made me smile and happy. Because I knew that at that point in my life I couldn't handle being dragged into that head space caused by some of the amazing, yet slightly more philosophical (for want of a better word) that I usually listen to.

So there is my thoughts for today. Two things that can be highly influential on my life, and maybe yours. Firstly, the people that you surround yourself with, and secondly, music...

I hope you are having a lovely Good Friday!

Thank you Jesus for dying on that cross, for sacrificing your life, that I might have eternal life...

No comments:

Post a Comment