Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 12. Talk about anything you like...

Ok, well I am not feeling very inspired today. I am at work and it is a bit of a slow day. Let’s see. My earliest memory is when I was 3 years old. I woke up on my birthday and I thought, YAY I’m a big kid now! I don’t know why that memory has stuck with me. I loved the house I grew up in. In a little place called Towrang, just outside of Goulburn. It was set on a 50 acre block, it had a train line that ran over it and river that ran through it. The train line was set high on bricks handmade by convicts from years ago. There was a giant rock underneath the train pillar’s and if I bashed and scrapped it, it would produce some powder and if mixed with water from the river this would make paint! It was pretty cool. My brother, my two sister’s and I had lots of fun running around, building cubby houses in the tree’s, climbing the pillars, hiding in the small pine tree paddock that we had, swimming in the river using empty 4 litre orange bottle’s to keep us afloat. If there was too much rain the river would swell and flood. On a couple of occasion’s we would write a note, put it in a bottle and toss it into the river. One day we found a note that our next door neighbour had also put in a bottle. We didn’t have the heart to tell him that we had found it so close by. Let him think it ended up in some faraway magical land...
Later on, we got a canoe and would float down the river looking at it from a different angle than the one we knew so well. There was seaweed and eels and leeches. We had a big backyard with a trampoline, a massive shed that help two cars, a tractor and a whole bunch of other stuff, we had a bunk house out the back, which Dad used as his study. We had a big veggie garden behind that which held strawberries, apples, cherries, corn, lettuce, carrots, beans, pumpkin and all sorts of other wonderful things.
We had two main dogs while I was growing up. Zac was the first but he grew old and deaf and eventually wandered onto the tracks of the railway and must have been hit. I was only very young when this happened, but I still remember Dad coming in to tell us. The second was Jess. They were both beautiful black and white border collies. Such gorgeous dog’s. Jess passed away in Qld when after mum and dad had relocated up there. There were a few stray dogs that came by in between, but they didn’t seem to stay for very long.
We also had a horse on loan for a time I believe, but we weren’t allowed to ride him. We had a long dirt driveway and once when the railway was re-doing the rocks on the tracks they gave us the previous stones for free and bulldozed them on our driveway. Dad was extremely pleased as this would have cost thousands and thousands of dollars if we had of been paying someone!
My sister and my brother and I were all homeschooled till various ages. Ruth and Liz went to school in year 5 and 6, I went half way through year 2 (after Dad had a heart attack) and then Josh went in year 7. Mum was a teacher and put a lot into us kids.
Ok, that’s enough for one day 
Cheerio Old Chaps xo

No comments:

Post a Comment